Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Who am I?" asks the farmer's wife.

The calendar points to the middle of March but it feels like December.  We had snow again yesterday and freezing temperatures overnight.  I wonder if the earthquake in Japan has affected our weather.  Not that I'm worried about radiation but a shift in the earth's axis is pretty dramatic.  No event is without it's consequences.

I wonder how I got to be the woman I am.  If you had asked me when I was 18 if I would end up 40 years later as a farmer, I would've laughed out loud.  I come from farmer stock so it shouldn't be surprising that I would end up here but so much has happened to me and our world since then.  I don't reject technology but I do reject the fast paced world that my grandsons are growing up in.  I reject mega business that tries to control the world.  I reject the thinking that we can't do anything about the big problems.

I understand quiet and a slower pace.  I understand that I might miss something really important if I hurry.  I don't seem to be as afraid of the world as other people.  I think that's the legacy of a gardener. 
You can't plant in the dead of winter with the expectation of harvesting in Fall if you're afraid.  That's optimism.  Something good is going to happen.  That's joy.  There'll be bends in the road but around each curve I look for something positive to cling to.

The turkey hens are looking for lovely nesting sites.  Turkey toms are reminding them that they are fine studly partners.  The young chickens are laying beautiful little eggs.   Cool weather crops are thriving and garlic has poked through the snow.  Our aging dogs are slowing down but always hoping for a little treat or pat on the head.  I look forward to a world where folks take notice of their surroundings.  Winter or summer, there's always something happening, things that calm our spirits if we let them.

No comments:

Post a Comment