Monday, February 21, 2011

Where's Winter?

I can't believe I have neglected this blog for so long.  I get excited after the New Year and can't wait for spring to arrive, then we get so busy that time flies by.  Before I know it, the year is over and life has a way of moving along whether or not you are ready for it.

We sold 20 turkeys over Thanksgiving.  I feel so responsible for every family's holiday dinner and want their birds to be the best they've ever tasted.  While much depends on the cook, I know our birds are quality meat with great flavor but sales are a little nerve racking.  We butchered one day and I delivered the next day which was a nice change in our process.

Hog butchering finally took place in late November after a series of mishaps that delayed our getting the hogs to the processor.  Those were big pigs and we have one chest freezer and a smaller freezer full of piggy parts.  I tried to get as much of the pig as I thought I could handle, not quite nose to tail but just about.  It does no honor to the pig to waste parts just because they are unfamiliar to our palates.  I also rendered several gallons of the best lard pieces for cooking and baking.

Winter pruning took place in January along with a dormant spray.  I never seem to get the three applications of dormant oil over the winter but we are pleased with the pruning as their shapes are starting to look very nice with big open centers and branches we can reach for picking fruit.  I hold fond memories of my oldest grandsons coming to the farm last September for apple picking.

There's another forecast for lots of snow the end of this week but these storms haven't delivered much of a punch on our farm since Thanksgiving week.  I am having such a hard time containing my urge to plant seeds.  Last week I took a baby step and planted one variety of tomatoes.  The artichoke plants are doing well in a window that I started in January but the greens I put in a raised bed have stalled.  They liked it indoors and night time freezing temps make for slow growing.  In the past I have overwintered greens so that I could take cuttings by now.  Perennial rhubarb and chives are pushing up as well as a number of garlic varieties.

So I'm about the turn a page on the calendar to March and wait with anticipation for warmer temperatures and the opportunity to spend all my days outside.  I hope you'll meet me back here more regularly.  Finding joy in the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment