Wednesday, March 10, 2010

We've tested our turkey eggs for fertility in the past few weeks and either the eggs failed to develop completely or they weren't fertile. This is disappointing but we haven't given up and will keep incubating eggs once a week. Our tom is inexperienced and he's not quite connecting, although he's trying so hard. We have ordered chicks from a hatchery but we're were hoping to be able to cancel that order as it's a cost we'd rather not have to pay.

I had the pleasure of talking about our little farm with a group of Master Gardeners this past week. I really enjoyed showing pictures and sharing the sex, drama, violence, miracles and joy of living our lifestyle. Several MG's said they like to talk to me more and I welcome those conversations.

I also had a little skin cancer removed from my face last week. I wasn't concerned about the procedure but it is a warning to all of us who love to live in the sunshine to keep that sunscreen on. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear my husband ask me several times a week this summer "where's your wide brimmed hat?"

Pocket gophers and pine voles have impacted some of our garlic beds so I ordered a new product that's a granular form of predator urine. Doesn't that sound icky? Fox for gophers and a blend for voles. How do they get that urine, anyway? I'm not going to think too hard about it but I really hope this works.

Snow has fallen here two days in a row but not enough to make any difference, just enough to remind us that winter is still here. I love the warmer afternoons but it's good to have seasons. Find the joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment